Saturday, June 30, 2007

Harry Crack or Crack Potter

I am ashamed to see how long it's been since I last blogged. Let me just say that I've been busy. It might even be true.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am really looking forward to July 21st when the final Harry Potter book comes out. When I first started reading the stories book three had already been released but since then I've been consistantly reading the lastest books soon after they've been released. None however, have I waited for more anxiously than the one I wait for now, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The reason is that the last book didn't really resolve and furthermore I am extremely curious about the actions of two of the characters, Snape and Dumbledore.
I made thing worse because I decided that in order to prepare for the new release I would reread all of the books. It wasn't a bad idea, but forgetting how fast, easy and addicting they are, I started far too early. I read through all six books in less than two weeks so I already finished them all.

Warning, Book Six spoiler to follow.

The question on everyone's lips is, "Why did Dumbledore have such faith that Snape was good?" It is obvious that Snape was a double agent, the question is where did his loyalties really lie? If both Dumbledore and Voldemort where convinced that Snape was on their side then obviously Snape managed to fool one of the greatest wizards of all time, but who?
I've a theory though. Maybe neither was fooled. I think that Snape was a true Death Eater working for Voldemort and Dumbledore knew this all along. There have been several times when Dumbledore mentions that love is the strongest magic of all and Voldemort doesn't understand this at all. I think that Dumbledore was trying to use love, in this sense forgiveness, to bring Snape back to the good side. I think that he pretended to trust Snape in order that he could persuade Snape to win Snape over, not through fear but through acceptance.
Dumbledore knew that this would take a while yet he felt that as long as he were around he knew that he could keep Snape in line. That is why when he was lying helpless at the end of book six and Snape showed up he was pleading and fearful. He knew that his experiment had failed and that Snape was still evil.
I think that near the end of this book Harry will be battling Voldemort and Voldemort will manage to disarm him. He will be about to kill Harry and Snape will be convicted all of a sudden due to Dumbledore's previous actions and he will help Harry, changing alliances at the eleventh hour. In this way Dumbledore will be proven correct that love is the most powerful magic. That's just a thought, I'll have to wait until another three long weeks before I can learn for sure what happens. I don't know that I'll make it.

3 comments:

lowenfels said...

It's so weird, i've never actually read the Harry Potter books, but i've never heard any other book/series referred to as addictive as is Harry Potter. A friend of mine for the past 4 books has lined up at the bookstore at midnight to get it and is then incommunicado until she finishes it. Pretty extreme! Good luck with the waiting.

Unknown said...

Ed... brillliant thoughts. I too am waiting for the next book.

I think you are on to something with Snape...


Scott

Justus Smith said...

We'll see if your spoiler pans out. I've come across some other ideas:

1) Hermione is a dude.
2) Voldemort is Harry's real father
3) Harry is Dumbledore, and after finding the remaining Horcrux he goes back in time 50 years and becomes schoolmaster.

(not my ideas but others) you looking forward to movie #5?